Photos by Roger Davies for House Beautiful
I seriously can't get enough of this room. Today, I'm drawing your attention to that sliver of art seen on the right-hand side of the picture. I know there isn't much to see of it, but you can just make out the feeling of the abstract piece.
I love how it looks against the green paint. I also love its scale but our nursery has very little wall space due to the slanted ceilings, so I launched a search for something a bit more diminutive that might give me a similar feel.
Etsy to the rescue - I found a set of original, abstract watercolors from artist Jennifer Love. I loved the various brushstrokes and the colors coordinate beautifully against the Le Lac curtains.
The paintings are small at 5x5, but Jennifer matted them to 10x10 and I purchased a set of black bamboo frames from this ebay seller to display the art:
Not sure if I will keep the frames black or paint them gold, but I really love how they flank the main window in the room...
So, the weekend was filled with highs and lows. The high was definitely finishing the nursery dresser...painting it yellow was absolutely the right decision and it looks SO incredibly good. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. And the bonus was that completing the dresser meant I could wash all of baby's wee clothes, fold them and put them away. Which was such a nice little exercise.
The low point? The bed skirt adventure. I started working on the bed skirt for the twin bed in the room. I've been putting this project off for months, for good reason. I just wasn't up for it. But I made myself finally do it. Well, I couldn't crouch around measuring and cutting huge pieces of fabric so my incredibly sweet and patient Carter did that for me. I spent some quality time with my sewing machine Saturday, and all was going relatively well.
Then Sunday came and I went to actually construct the ruffled skirt on the bed, only to find that I had grossly underestimated the amount of fabric I needed to make a proper ruffle. This was quickly followed by me dissolving into tears completely overwhelmed by the project and Carter patiently talking me down from the ledge. And this was just the twin bed...I needed to repeat the whole thing to make the matching crib skirt.
It wasn't happening. Like Carter said, I'm not the same person I was 8 months ago and even in a non-pregnant state, tackling a ruffled bed skirt for the first time would be a challenging project for me. The point of my story is that my DIY failed :(
So I ordered some skirts for both bed and crib off Amazon and now I'm saying daily prayers that the reds match on both. I know they will not look as good as if I had done them myself (assuming I did a good job) but desperate times...
Hope any projects you tackled this weekend went more smoothly!